Moving is expensive and the costs can really add up. At YourSpace Storage, we want to make your move as smooth and inexpensive as possible, so we have compiled the top 10 ways you can save money during your move.
- Hold a yard sale to sell items you no longer need. Before moving, sell whatever you don’t want to spend the effort moving by hosting a yard sale. Be sure to advertise your yard sale in local papers, social media sites, and with posters around the neighborhood directing people to your sale. Many local Facebook groups exist as online yard sales where you can sell items any time to other area residents. eBay is a great place to sell collectible and high-dollar items. Use the money from the items you’ve sold to help fund your move.
- Donate unwanted items. Donate the items you don’t want or need and couldn’t sell to a local non-profit and receive a tax deduction.
- Rent a Uhaul or Penske truck. Save a load of money by moving items yourself with a Uhaul truck. Movers are busiest during weekends, at the end of the month, and during the summer months. Some companies may charge a premium to move during these times. Renting a truck and moving items yourself is an economic way to move since you’re not paying for the labor to pack, load, move, and unload your home.
- If you prefer to hire movers, get at least 3 bids. Don’t settle for the first moving quote you receive. Contact at least 3 companies for pricing, then try to negotiate even lower rates. Ask if there are any discounts or specials that can be applied, such as military discounts or AAA member rates. Schedule your move during slower times (weekdays, middle of the month, winter, etc.) for reduced rates.
- Reuse cardboard boxes. Save the boxes from your latest Amazon Prime order to pack your home for a move. You can also save and reuse the packing materials inside to keep items from moving around. Free boxes can usually be found at your local grocer or liquor store.
- Mail your books. Books are some of the heaviest items you’ll move, but also fairly small. If you’re moving long-distance it may be worth your money to ship books to your new home via Media Mail from the US Postal Service. For example, a 20″ cube box containing 25 lbs. of books shipped from Maryland to Colorado costs just $14.13.
- Don’t drive during rush hour. Sitting in traffic is already enough of a headache and rental trucks use more fuel than your car. Driving during off-peak hours improves gas efficiency, making your gas money go farther.
- Resell your boxes. After the move, you can sell used boxes to Container Exchanger and Box Cycle and earn $0.50 to $1.50 per box!
- Purchase moving supply packages. Moving kits and other supply packages are a great way to save on all the items you’ll need for a move. Tape, markers, and various boxes are all grouped together at a discount.
- Use self storage. Take advantage of move-in specials at your local YourSpace Storage to store items when in-between moves or during a temporary move (such as military deployment).
If you have any other money saving tips you’d like to share, please join the conversation by commenting below! Happy moving!